Jody Frankian, Practice Manager
Jody was born in Ohio and graduated from Villanova in Pennsylvania. While she has lived all over the country, Overland Park has been home since 1983. She enjoys working with people and pets, so working at a veterinary clinic was a natural fit. She spent 8 years at a local veterinary practice before joining Mariposa Veterinary Center in June 2009. Hobbies include following college basketball (especially the Jayhawks) and hanging out with her animals.
- Family: Husband, 2 children (grown), 2 dogs, 2 cats, one grand-dog and one grand-cat
- Fun Fact: Taught sailing in high school and college
- If she could live anywhere, it would be: San Diego
Sue J., Registered Veterinary Technician
Sue grew up in New Jersey but is originally from Kansas City. As a child, she spent summers at the Jersey shore and still feels a deep connection to the ocean: “That Jersey shore was a quaint, local town, with ice cream and families, not what you see on TV!” About 2 years ago, she made the decision to leave her corporate career and start anew in the veterinary field. She graduated from the Maple Woods Veterinary Technician program in May 2015.
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: Because she wants to be surrounded by animals all night and all day!
- Family: Multiple cats and a horse; Mom lives in town
- Favorite movie: Thelma & Louise
- Hobbies: Horses, riding
Brooke, Registered Veterinary Technician
Originally from Pennsylvania but has lived in the KC area for almost 20 years!
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: I took a lifetime love of animals and combined it with a passion for customer service – to provide care for pets and knowledge to owners for a lifetime of health.
- Family: Dicken – Terrier mutt (most adorable doge ever) and Batman – a Dutch rabbit
- Favorite movies: A Knight’s Tale
- Hobbies: Baking (I love making cookies and marshmallows) and sewing (mostly costumes for conventions)
- Fun Fact: I find extreme joy in nerding out over pop culture and love attending conventions in my cosplay creations!
Stephanie, Registered Veterinary Technician
Stephanie is originally from Oklahoma. She joined Mariposa in July 2014 as part of a career change–she is now planning to become a veterinary technician. Stephanie is working her way through the Maple Woods Veterinary Technology program and plans to graduate May 2017!
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: “Finally realized my 12-year old self had it right and I’m now pursuing a career caring for animals.”
- Family: Husband and 4 cats (Charlie, Emilio, Margie/Lil’M, Carl)
- Favorite movie: Goodfellas
- Fun fact: Went scuba diving with dolphins on a trip to Israel
- Hobbies: Travel, photography, reading
Cindy R., Veterinary Nurse
Cindy joined the veterinary field in 1996. Prior to that, she did Home Health Care, helping elderly and disabled people. She thrives on knowing that she makes a difference in the lives of pets and people every day. During her time off from Mariposa, she works at Falcon Skydiving Team. She enjoys camping, fishing and anything that has to do with a creek or a lake. “Thank you for giving me the opportunity to care for your family members too.”
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: “It’s a great feeling to get up every morning and know I can help make a difference in a pet and human’s life!!”
- Family: Daughter Kayla, 1 dog (Ashe), and 2 cats (Skitch and Murr-Low)
- Fun Fact: Holds a USPA C License in skydiving!
- Hobbies: Photography, packing parachutes, and jumping out of planes
Lindsey T., Veterinary Nurse
Lindsey is from Olathe and joined our practice in June 2016, right before our first-ever staff retreat. Even though it was only her fourth day at work, we could see that her spunky spirit would fit right in with the rest of our team! She has always loved animals and wants to spend time working with them. If you ask her, she will tell you horses are her real passion.
- Family: Dog (Levi), a horse (Daisy), 2 older brothers
- Favorite movie: Despicable Me
- Fun Fact: “I’m fun!”
Mandy, Veterinary Nurse
Born and raised in Desoto, KS
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: I have a strong passion for animals and their well-being.
- Family: I have a very loving family of 5. I am also owned by two cats, Tigger and Eeyore.
- Favorite movies: Dances with Wolves
- Hobbies: Hiking, snow skiing, wake-boarding, long-boarding and pretty much anything outdoors
- Fun Fact: In high school I was in FFA and had a pet hog named Lula, whom I would show at livestock and agriculture shows. I also had a horse and always imagined myself being a technician for a large animal practice. After working at Mariposa for awhile, small and exotic animals have become my passion.
Annette G., Receptionist
Annette is a retired paramedic with 30 years’ experience in the Johnson County area. She became involved in search and rescue in 1998 as a way to help her German shepherds focus their energy and is now a K9 evaluator for the National Association for Search and Rescue. She is also a trainer for the Midwest Hundesport Association. She has an Associates degree in Applied Science.
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: My love for animals, another outlet for my medical background
- Family: 2 German shepherds: Jaeger Meister and Enye
- Favorite movies: Somewhere in Time, Twister, The Blind Side
- Hobbies: Search and Rescue (SAR), crochet and some crafting, cooking, fly fishing
Judy has a love for both animals and customer service. Blending those two together has made her a valuable asset to Mariposa!
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: I have always worked in customer service and adding pets to the mix is a bonus!
- Family: Husband, 2 kids and 2 perfect grandchildren!
- Favorite movies: The Man From Snowy River
- Hobbies: Hiking, just started kayaking this year!
Originally born in Sunny SoCal. Grew up on the beach and for the last 32 years have lived in several locations in the greater Kansas City area, currently in Shawnee, KS. As much as I miss the ocean, I can’t seem to leave the midwest!
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: I work here because of the wonderful staff and clients! We have the best of Kansas City!
- Family: Two adorable cats, Thor and Bella. One younger sister who lives in Germany.
- Favorite movies: Simply Irrestible – because I love food and believe in magic and fairy-tales!
- Hobbies: Making KittyMojo cat toys, traveling as much as possible, singing and taking long morning walks in cool weather.
- Fun Fact: Spent 4 years of my childhood living in Norway.
Moved to the OP area from Utah in ’94, been here ever since!
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: There is nothing on earth I’m more passionate about that animals and the bonds they have with their humans. I’m also very much into alternative wellness, so I knew Mariposa was the perfect place for me!
- Family: Four kids! – 3 dogs; Mhya – Germand Shepherd, Maxwell – Bernese Mountain dog, Thor – Newfoundland. 1 snake – Roxy, Rosy boa.
- Favorite Movie: Legends of the Fall; A River Runs Through It; Labyrinth – can’t pick just one!
- Hobbies: Running daily with my dogs, yoga, rock hounding, making handcrafted jewelry with crystals and stones.
- Fun Fact: I once spent an entire day training and loving on dolphins – BEST DAY EVER!
As a Navy brat, I have lived all over the world, including Cuba and Scotland. Most recently, I lived in Oklahoma and now reside in Lenexa, KS.
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: I am passionate about animals and people, and Mariposa gives me the chance to help both!
- Family: I live with my boyfriend Brian and our two teenagers Devon and Bridgit. Completing out my family is Bijou, our shepherd/Malamute mix; Belle, our Pomapoo; Dr. Tobias, our cat and Leo, our red-eared slider turtle.
- Favorite movies: I can’t choose just one! I’m a movie buff, but especially love old musicals and modern horror.
- Hobbies: I enjoy cosplaying with my family, crocheting and sewing weird costumes.
- Fun Fact: I do children’s charity events and visit children’s hospitals in costume as a princess!
Shannon, Kennel Assistant
Local girl born and raised in Overland Park, KS!
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: I’ve been in the Veterinary business for over 20 years. My passion is pets!
- Family: Rescue pets are my family – my house and life are constantly full!!
- Favorite movies: I don’t have ‘just one’. The Good Dinosaur, Seems Like Old Times, 3 Men and a Baby
- Hobbies: Photography, TV, movies, reading, and especially play time with my pets!
- Fun Fact: Owner of Pet Blessed – Pet sitting and dog walking business.
Oleysa, Kennel Assistant
Born in Kazan, Russia
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: I love animals!
- Family: Two cats, Kumar and Marianna and a wonderful dog named Niko
- Favorite movies: What Dreams May Come, The Black Stallion and Artic Tale
- Hobbies: Horseback riding, Art and Yoga
- Fun Fact: I dream of nominating my cat for President, He is a great ‘purritician’!
Ariel, Patient Care Supervisor
Ariel performs the important role of distracting patients during examination, blood draws, and other procedures, which makes our jobs easier and provides stress relief for our patients! She also keeps tabs on all the ongoings to make sure things are in order.
- Nickname: Princess
- Fun Fact: She’s allergic to fish, and we can tell when she’s had some because her ears turn red.
- Hobbies: Chewing on plants
Jack, Front door greeter & paper warmer
Jack is our one-eyed fluffy, orange tabby who knows no strangers! He expects love and attention from everyone, which sometimes gets him in trouble with dogs who are not fans of cats. His eye was removed as a kitten due to a severe infection.
- Loves: Catnip, playing Jack in the Box, making biscuits
- Fun Fact: Likes to dig through your purse
- Hobbies: Long naps
Sherlock, Front door greeter
Sherlock is an Umbrella Cockatoo rescued by Dr. Michelle Chappell, founder of Mariposa Veterinary Center. We estimated his hatch year to be 1966, making him an early senior in bird years.
- Favorite color: Purple
- Dislikes: Trucks (tends to scream when he sees them in our parking lot)