Jody Frankian, Office Manager
Jody was born in Ohio and graduated from Villanova in Pennsylvania. While she has lived all over the country, Overland Park has been home since 1983. She enjoys working with people and pets, so working at a veterinary clinic was a natural fit. She spent 8 years at a local veterinary practice before joining Mariposa Veterinary Center in June 2009. Hobbies include following college basketball (especially the Jayhawks) and hanging out with her animals.
- Family: Husband, 2 children (grown), 2 dogs, 2 cats, one grand-dog and one grand-cat
- Fun Fact: Taught sailing in high school and college
- If she could live anywhere, it would be: San Diego
Sue J., Registered Veterinary Technician
Sue grew up in New Jersey but is originally from Kansas City. As a child, she spent summers at the Jersey shore and still feels a deep connection to the ocean: “That Jersey shore was a quaint, local town, with ice cream and families, not what you see on TV!” About 2 years ago, she made the decision to leave her corporate career and start anew in the veterinary field. She graduated from the Maple Woods Veterinary Technician program in May 2015.
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: Because she wants to be surrounded by animals all night and all day!
- Family: Multiple cats and a horse
- Favorite movie: Thelma & Louise
- Hobbies: Horses, riding
Brooke, Registered Veterinary Technician
Originally from Pennsylvania but has lived in the KC area for almost 20 years!
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: I took a lifetime love of animals and combined it with a passion for customer service – to provide care for pets and knowledge to owners for a lifetime of health.
- Family: Dicken – Terrier mutt (most adorable doge ever) and Batman – a Dutch rabbit
- Favorite movies: A Knight’s Tale
- Hobbies: Baking (I love making cookies and marshmallows) and sewing (mostly costumes for conventions)
- Fun Fact: I find extreme joy in nerding out over pop culture and love attending conventions in my cosplay creations!
Kristen, Registered Veterinary Technician
Starting her career in shelter medicine, Kristen is no stranger to touch-and-go situations and tough decisions. The skills she developed throughout her early years at Olathe Animal Shelter and Great Plains SPCA make her an invaluable piece of the Mariposa family in sad times and in good. As a registered veterinary technician, Kristen brings passion, experience and knowledge to our team. Above all is the level of compassion she feels so deeply for each of the patients she works with. At Mariposa, she enjoys working one-on-one with all kinds of animals and supporting veterinarians through diagnostics and treatment plans for the most precious pets.
When saying goodbye is the kindest option, Kristen is ready to hold your hand with unapparelled compassion. “I feel deep empathy for families in their final moments together,” Kristen says. “It is a gift to ensure they’re comfortable and to offer peace to everyone in the room.” Some shy away from this part of the job, but Kristen’s heart runs to help. “When it’s time to say goodbye, you see the purest love and trust between pets and owners. To see what they mean to one another. It’s incredibly beautiful,” she shares.
When she’s not at work, you’ll find Kristen behind the camera or paintbrush. She’s an amazingly talented artist who finds beauty and release through artistic means. For Kristen, there is no better self-care than creating something beautiful from a blank canvas. She’s a proud mom of three (each adopted her): canine Peachy and two very handsome felines, Ollie and Mouse.
Marissa, Registered Veterinary Technician
“Early in my career, a mentor told me: ‘Every animal has value, no matter how small,’” she says. This message continues to motivate and inspire Marissa at Mariposa in her work as a registered veterinary technician (RVT).
Marissa grew up in Kansas City but relocated to Virginia Beach after high school, where she worked with stranded dolphins and sea turtles while volunteering at the Norfolk Aquarium. This experience inspired her to return to school in a field of study that would allow her to work with all kinds of species. She completed a B.S. in biology and B.A. in chemistry at UMKC in 2017 before attending Maple Woods’ Veterinary Technology program and obtaining her RVT status in June 2019.
During the summer of 2018, Marissa completed an internship with the Animal Healthcare Center at the Kansas City Zoo. This led to an opportunity to complete temporary contract RVT work at the KC Zoo alongside her full-time position at Mariposa. She enjoys being able to experience multiple aspects of veterinary medicine and looks forward to the challenge and creativity that it brings. “I love that we get to see so many exotic animal species here at Mariposa in addition to all of the dogs and cats-it makes each day so exciting.”
Marissa has a 15 year-old mixed breed dog that she lovingly refers to as “Mae Pickle” and a black cat named Liam.
Mandy, Veterinary Assistant
Born and raised in Desoto, Kansas
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: I have a strong passion for animals and their well-being.
- Family: I have a very loving family of 5. I am also owned by two cats, Tigger and Eeyore.
- Favorite movies: Dances with Wolves
- Hobbies: Hiking, snow skiing, wake-boarding, long-boarding and pretty much anything outdoors
- Fun Fact: In high school I was in FFA and had a pet hog named Lula, whom I would show at livestock and agriculture shows. I also had a horse and always imagined myself being a technician for a large animal practice. After working at Mariposa for awhile, small and exotic animals have become my passion.
Natalie, Technician Assistant
Boasting a life-long passion for science, Natalie holds a bachelors’ degree in biology with a minor in chemistry from Truman State University, but animal care is where her heart is. “I love being a technician assistant because I care a lot about those who don’t have a voice, and I want to help them anyway I can.” Joining us from a mixed animal practice in a rural area, Natalie brings experience caring for everyone from small mammals to bovine and equine patients. She has a love for learning and a desire to expand her knowledge base at every opportunity. “I’m passionate about helping and healing hurting animals,” Natalie says. “I like the opportunities I have at Mariposa to provide enhanced care to patients through a combination of eastern and western medicine.”
At home, she has two rabbits, Misty, who she’s had since college, and Luna, her newest addition. Natalie also has a Quarter Horse mare named Gracie, who she’s been riding since age 14. In her spare time, Natalie and her husband love to read (they have more than a thousand titles currently in their home). She also enjoys bird watching and can proudly identify most songbirds native to the Midwest region based on their sound, a talent she picked up in high school while volunteering with Wild Bird Rehabilitation.
Even though her childhood dreams consisted of being with horses full time, Natalie believes her 10-year-old self would be impressed with her career choices leading her to Mariposa. “It’s a unique practice full of unique people dedicated to doing everything possible to achieve the best health for each pet,” she says.
Annette, Client Service Representative
Annette is our “Jack of all trades”! Since 2014, she has served as our resident caregiver, safety instructor, knower-of-all-things and a client service representative. After 33 years in public safety service as a paramedic with the fire department and EMS, she retired and found a new passion in veterinary medicine.
“I like the theory and processes behind holistic medicine,” Annette shares. “I was drawn to Mariposa because I wanted to further my education and understanding of holistic care for animals.” Among her many duties at Mariposa, Annette ensures we’re up to date on OSHA protocol, she manages our Chinese herbal pharmacy, and ensures vaccine and health certificate documentation are appropriately managed for our clients.
With a focus on life-long learning, Annette regularly attends continuing education courses in veterinary medicine, search and rescue, emergency care for working canines, and she maintains her paramedic license. When she’s not a Mariposa, you’ll find Annette training dogs for disaster recovery and tracking on land and water. She began training in search and rescue in 1998. Her experiences include responding to the Kansas Turnpike flood of 2003, the EF5 tornado that hit Greensburg, KS, in 2007, and police investigations. Since 2000, she has been an official trainer and evaluator for the National Association for Search and Rescue. In 2006, she became lead evaluator for all K9 certifications. She’s presently the head trainer and a board member for MidWest Hundesport Association. Past canine partners include Bullet, Greta, and her beloved Jaeger Meister. Jaeger Meister, who passed away in 2019 at nearly 13 years of age, was the very first canine in the U.S. to obtain a search and rescue title through the United Schutzhund Club of America (USCA). Somehow, Annette also finds time to crochet, garden, craft, cook, teach private canine obedience lessons, and spend time outdoors hiking and fishing. She currently has two German shepherds, Enye and Jaska.
Julia, Client Service Representative
Moved to the Overland Park area from Utah in ’94, been here ever since!
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: There is nothing on earth I’m more passionate about than animals and the bonds they have with their humans. I’m also very much into alternative wellness, so I knew Mariposa was the perfect place for me!
- Family: Four kids! Mhya – Germand Shepherd; Thor – Newfoundland; Mabel– Bernese Mountain dog; Roxy–Rosy boa.
- Favorite Movie: Legends of the Fall; A River Runs Through It
- Hobbies: Running daily with my dogs, yoga, rock hounding, making handcrafted jewelry with crystals and stones.
- Fun Fact: My second lifelong passion is ballet–I started dancing when I was 21 months old.
Amber, Client Service Representative
As a Navy brat, Amber has lived all over the world, including Cuba and Scotland. Most recently, she lived in Oklahoma and now resides in Lenexa, Kansas.
- Why She Works at a Veterinary Hospital: I am passionate about animals and people, and Mariposa gives me the chance to help both!
- Family: I live with my husband Brian. Completing out my family is Belle, our Pomapoo; Leo, our red-eared slider turtle, and our two cats, Mulligan and Princess Sugar Plum.
- Favorite movies: I can’t choose just one! I’m a movie buff, but especially love old musicals and modern horror.
- Hobbies: I enjoy cosplaying with my family, crocheting and sewing weird costumes.
- Fun Fact: I do children’s charity events and visit children’s hospitals in costume as a princess!